The importance of equine dentistry is recognised by Western Counties Equine Hospital. Chris Johannson leads all dentistry within the practice and has lectured equine dentistry on behalf of BEVA also he is involved with the BVDA/BEVA examinations of equine dental technicians for membership of BAEDT. All vets are trained by Chris Johannson at Western Counties Equine Hospital to maintain the high standards required by our clients.
Regular dentistry is required by all horses, at least on an annual basis. All our vets are fully equipped and trained to perform routine dentistry using manual and motorised equipment. Early identification of pathology is important to allow treatment at the hospital and prevent deterioration of dental disease resulting in loss of performance or weight loss.
We recommend that routine dentistry is performed at the same time as the annual vaccinations either at your stables or at the hospital. Fixed prices are available for group bookings
Advanced Dentistry at the Hospital
Available to our first opinion clients and clients referred by veterinary surgeons or equine dental technicians. These services are performed by Chris Johannson in conjunction with Chris Pearce Cert EM(Int med) Cert ES (soft tissue) BAEDT MRCVS (www.equinedentalclinic.co.uk) who attends the hospital on a regular basis to complement those services offered by the hospital.
Services available include
- Digital radiography of the head, dental arcades and sinuses
- Reduction of dental overgrowths and irregular arcades
- Extraction of teeth using modern techniques including minimally invasive transbuccal extraction (MTE) alongside more established surgical methods
- Treatment of periodontal disease using specialist high pressure systems
- Endodontic and cavity restorative techniques